Saturday 4 February 2012

It's been a long time.

Time has flown by and I can't believe that it will soon be a year since we started to home educate our 4 monsters. We have had good times, bad times, tears, tantrums (some even by me) and lots of fun learning new things.

As the year has gone by my ideas about home ed have definitely changed and I have more of an eclectic approach now. I love the idea of unschooling but just don't see how it could fully work for us but neither does a formal approach. The monsters all have a dislike of structured, sit at the table days and learn so much more when they don't even realise they are learning.

I am trying to just let learning happen. I leave lots of books, toys, games and objects to encourage learning in easy reach, though I have insisted on a ban of television and games consoles until after dinner as that's all they would do all day and I am not relaxed enough to let them do that.

I have resurrected this blog after a few days of worrying I am not doing enough and that the monsters will grow up un educated and unable to function. You know, the usual paranoia of mothers all over the world.
When making a list of all we have done since the beginning o the year it is actually an awful lot and I am feeling much better. So here goes,
we have -
created a blog to review things
wrote the beginnings of a story
started an ongoing project on seasons and weather
created our own Pokemon characters with back story and illustrations
played board games about a bazillion times
visited a planetarium
read lots of books alone and together
used a science kit called the science of music
created our own instruments
gone on a walk around a country park
made greeting cards
visited a science museum
used educational websites daily
baked cakes
and talked about anything and everything.

I think we may be doing just fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment